Monday, October 29, 2012

The Lady who was Not Afraid of Anything

Every week, we choose a children's book that will help the kids in our classroom meet their language goals and build a fun theme around it. Last week, in keeping with Trick or Treat, we read the book, "The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything".
 
 
 
 
 It's a fun book about a little old lady who prided herself on not being afraid of anything. She went for a walk and soon realized she was being followed... by a pair of old shoes that clomped (and she wasn't afraid), then there was also a pair of pants also following her (and she wasn't afraid), then it was a shirt also following her (and she STILL wasn't afraid). But finally, it was one too many spooky items  and "The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything" was feeling overcome by fear. Ultimately, she conquered her fear when she stopped looking behind her and remembered that she really wasn't afraid of anything. So she put the things she feared where they belonged- out in the field, scaring crows.
 
 All week long, the kids made me smile because they kept saying that they weren't afraid of anything, either! Spiders? "No!" Snakes? "No!" Monsters? "No!" And as funny as it was to hear them brag about their bravery, it got me thinking about fear. We all have our issues, I suppose, and well, one of mine is definately fear. I don't mean fear of the dark or crawling things or being alone at night. But when I think about all the possible things that could happen... the "What Ifs" in my life, I can get VERY afraid. It's sort of a default I go to in times of trouble and it can stop me in my tracks. From doing the things I know I should. From enjoying the day to day moments of life. I would LOVE to be able to boldly say, "I'm not afraid of anything!" like the lady in our story. But is it possible? I never thought it was.  But I'm changing my mind.
 
How many times in scripture does it say, "Do not fear"? Dozens! After speaking during a simulcast event in September, the Bible teacher, Beth Moore, posted a long list of the 'Do Not Fear' scriptures online. I don't just want to read them, be encouraged for a day and set them aside. I want the truth of the scripture to change how I think, so my default in the future isn't 'fear'. It's confidence in the God who is who He says He is- and can do what He says He can do.
 
 
Here are a few of the "Do Not Fear" scriptures that mean the most to me.
 
When you lie down, you will not be afraid; you will lie down, and your sleep will be pleasant. PROVERBS 3:24

 
I sought the LORD, and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears. PSALM 34:4


When I am afraid, I will trust in you. PSALM 56:3  
Be strong and courageous; don’t be terrifed or afraid of them. For it is the LORD your

God who goes with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. DEUTERONOMY 31:6  
You do not have to fight this battle. Position yourselves, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD. He is with you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Tomorrow, go out to face them, for Yahweh is with you. 2 CHRONICLES 20:17  
The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom should I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid?  PSALM 27:1
 
Do not be afraid of them, for the LORD your God fights for you. DEUTERONOMY 3:22
 
But God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love and sound judgement.             2 TIMONTHY 1:7 
There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears has not reached perfection in love.  1 JOHN 4:18
 
Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. JOSHUA 1:7
 
SO I TOOK COURAGE because I was strengthened by Yahweh my God.   EZRA 7:28














No comments:

Post a Comment